If you'd like some cool Mibbit graphics, check Logo graphics.
Why use Mibbit?
- Security - Since Mibbit runs in a browser, it is restricted in what it can do to your machine. Even java applets can seriously mess up your machine, as you have to 'trust' them and give them access to everything. Mibbit on the other hand is actually running on a mibbit server. All you see in your browser is a 'view' into mibbit.
- Ease - You may well not want to install a desktop client on every machine you want to access chatrooms. Setting up a desktop client can be a pain.
- Portability - You can use mibbit from your laptop, iphone, a cybercafe, and have access to your logs etc
- Extra features - Some features on Mibbit are not easily implemented in desktop clients, such as image thumbnailing, Typing notify etc. There will be many more of these unique features to come.
Finding places to chat
Finding interesting chat rooms can be a problem, so there's a quick and easy way to find them on Mibbit. On each of the networks we have access to, we index all the channels. To find new places to chat, just fill the input field at the top with some keyword(s), e.g., 'music trivia' and click on the 'Find channels' button. Then you'll get back a list of results, with a count of how many users are in the channel, and a description. If you click on the channel title, you can join in with the chat straight away. Easy as that!
Make your own place to chat
If you'd like your own chatroom, the easiest thing is to create a channel on irc.mibbit.com. Simply connect to the server, and then follow the guides Create Your Own Nickname or Create Your Own Channel.
Using Mibbit on your website
If you have/create your own irc channel you can also use the new Widget to embed a chatroom on your own website, allowing your visitors to easily interact, and stay on your site longer. It adds a lot to any community to be able to chat with each other. People get to know each other, and come back to your site more often. To learn more about the Mibbit widget, click here.
You can also link to Mibbit, and have some information pre-filled into the connect form. You may pass server,channel, nick over in the URL. These must be URL encoded.
There are also several modules for existing softare:
- Drupal - Drupal module
- Joomla - Joomla
- PhpBB2 - phpBB2
- Habari - Habari
- MediaWiki - MediaWiki extension
- Simple Machines Forum - SMF Mod
If you have an iGoogle page setup, you can add it as a widget. Just choose 'other widget', then put in this url: (http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/109578123145862366321/mibbit.xml)
If you'd like to customize the client to your own liking, you can set your own Preferences or Configure your Widget
You can now load up skins, or specify a skin for your widget. See Skins
All of the connections to IRC servers come from the same IP address. However, Mibbit is not, and will never be an anonymizer. Mibbit has a couple of methods it uses to notify the IRC servers of the visitors real IP address, so that the user can still be identified, and banned if needed. Most IRC servers have a 'session limit' which may mean that you cannot connect from mibbit. If you are unable to connect somewhere, please email us, and we will request a limit increase from them. All of the IRC servers listed in the drop down are servers we have agreements with already. If you manage an IRC network, or your own server, please check out Enable_Mibbit_on_Your_IRC_Server.
How you can help
Mibbit is in development, so if you do experience a bug, please report it. Also, if there are any features you'd like to see, please add them to the WishList. View the Mibbit Development Blog here. If you'd like to see a list of the changes since July 08, visit the changelog. If you have any general feedback, good or bad, please email us.
To see some insight into what may be coming up MibbitsBrain