Frequently Asked Questions
From Mibbit Wiki
Revision as of 19:34, 25 May 2008 by Admin
- What is Mibbit?
- Mibbit is an online webchat client. At the moment it supports IRC, and is pretty feature rich.
- Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- Mibbit supports, and uses UTF-8. UTF-8 contains all the characters you would ever really need. Please try and get other people on IRC to use UTF-8. For mIRC users: View -> Text, under UTF-8 choose "read & encode". Temporarily you can switch to ISO-8859-1 on a per channel basis.
- What can run Mibbit?
- Anything that has a modern web browser. Desktops with ff/ie/opera/safari, iPhone, wii, Nokia n800, probably many other devices as well.
- What is Mibbit written in?
- Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- Mibbit sends over your IP address to every IRC server you connect to. If you are abusive or misbehave, only you will get banned, and not the whole of mibbit.
- Can I change the ident/realname?
- If you connect to a non-webirc server, the ident will show your IP in hex, and the realname will show your hostname. This is undesirable, but the only way to enable ops to ban you, and not the whole of Mibbit. If you connect to a webirc server however, the IP shown in your hostmark is correct, and the ident+realname are just set to "Mibbit". This is definitely the preferred solution, as bans, g-lines, cloaks, etc all work seamlessly, just as if you were connecting directly instead of through Mibbit.
- Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- Yes. Checkout the guides on the Widget page.
- How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- Registered users can set it permanently via "Prefs". Others use /dset autoAway <secs|0=never> (or &autoAway=0 for Widget). Reconnect to any connected servers for the change to take effect.
- What is the frogs name?