Difference between revisions of "Frequently Asked Questions"
m (→How can I donate)
m (→What is the frogs name?: Linked to the Kenneth wiki page.)
|Line 32:||Line 32:|
==What is the frogs name?==
==What is the frogs name?==
Revision as of 18:24, 4 April 2009
- 1 What is Mibbit?
- 2 Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- 3 What can run Mibbit?
- 4 What is Mibbit written in?
- 5 Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- 6 Can I change the ident/realname?
- 7 How do I set someone as an Operator?
- 8 Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- 9 How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- 10 How can I donate
- 11 What is the frogs name?
What is Mibbit?
- Mibbit is an online webchat client. At the moment it supports IRC and Yahoo, and is pretty feature rich.
Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- Mibbit supports, and uses UTF-8. UTF-8 contains all the characters you would ever really need. Please try and get other people on IRC to use UTF-8. For mIRC users: View -> Text, under UTF-8 choose "read & encode". Now you can display the current character set using the /charset command and/or set it in "my account". The widget can be configured with &charset=... (see Customizing)
What can run Mibbit?
- Anything that has a modern web browser. Desktops with ff/ie/opera/safari, iPhone, wii, Nokia n800, probably many other devices as well.
What is Mibbit written in?
Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- Mibbit sends over your IP address to every IRC server you connect to. If you are abusive or misbehave, only you will get banned, and not the whole of mibbit.
Can I change the ident/realname?
- If you connect to a non-webirc server, the ident will show your IP in hex, and the realname will show your hostname. This is undesirable, but the only way to enable ops to ban you, and not the whole of Mibbit. If you connect to a webirc server however, the IP shown in your hostmark is correct, and the ident+realname are just set to "Mibbit". This is definitely the preferred solution, as bans, g-lines, cloaks, etc all work seamlessly, just as if you were connecting directly instead of through Mibbit.
How do I set someone as an Operator?
- To give someone operator privileges type "/op nickName" (their nickname). This will last until they disconnect. If they are authenticated with the server your channel is on (gamesurge.net typically), then you can use "!addop nickName" to make them an operator permanently.
Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- Yes. Checkout the guides on the Widget page.
How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- Logged-in (registered) users can set it via Prefs>Other>Auto away time [secs | 0=never]. Reconnect to any connected servers for the change to take effect.
How can I donate
- Just contact mibbit in #help