Create your own nickname
Registering your Nickname
- Choose a user name or nick. This user name should consist only of the letters from A-Z, the numbers from 0-8 and certain symbols such as "_" and "-". It may have a maximum of 16 characters. Please note that some nicknames are used internally and cannot be used. Also, please stay family friendly with your nicknames
- Change your user name to the user name you have chosen. Suppose you chose the nick "applecake". Type the following in the window titled irc.mibbit.com:
- Register your nick or user name. Type the following command and replace "your_password" with a password that will be easy to remember.
/msg nickserv register your_password
- Associate a valid email address with your user name. This step is important because it will allow you to assign a new password in case you forget the current one. Type the following:
/msg nickserv set email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you want your email address to remain private, use the following command:
/msg nickserv set hide email on
- Register an alternate nickname using the same password. If you would like to register an alternate nickname, repeat the same procedure, using steps 2 to 4.
- Link your two user names. This will make your two nicknames function as one in various ways. For example, you will not have to sign in each time you wish to change your nickname. Many people change their nicknames to a variant that indicates that they are absent. The linked nicknames will also share memos (messages sent through MemoServ), access to channels, etc. Type the following, when you are using your secondary nickname:
/msg nickserv link your_primary_nick your_password
- Identify with Nickserv. Each time you connect, you should sign in, or "identify" yourself, using the following command:
/msg nickserv identify your_password
- Auto connect with mibbit: For your convience, if you are registered and logged in with mibbit, you can add that nick and password to the "My Account" list to be auto-identified (only if you are using the full http://www.mibbit.com version and are logged in).
Please note that registering on the irc servers (such as irc.mibbit.com) is different with registering with Mibbit (using the login/register fields up the top of the page).
Note: If you get on the server (after registering) and someone else has taken your name: type in /msg NickServ GHOST <username> <password> to kick the user from your nickname. Then type /nick <username> to change your nick back!
You can also do '/msg NickServ help' or '/ns help' for extensive help (some servers also use /nickserv).