Frequently Asked Questions
From Mibbit Wiki
- 1 What is Mibbit?
- 2 Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- 3 What can run Mibbit?
- 4 What is Mibbit written in?
- 5 Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- 6 Can I change the ident/realname?
- 7 How do I set someone as an Operator?
- 8 Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- 9 How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- 10 How long does a ban last?
- 11 How can I donate
- 12 What is the frog's name?
What is Mibbit?
- Mibbit is an online webchat client. At the moment it supports IRC and Twitter, and is feature rich.
Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- Mibbit supports and uses UTF-8. UTF-8 contains nearly all the characters most users need. You may display the current character set using the /charset command and/or set it in account preferences. The widget URI can be configured with &charset=... (see Customizing). The following Character Sets are supported
What can run Mibbit?
- Anything that has a modern web browser. Desktops with FireFox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari and mobile devices such as iPhone, WII, Nokia n800 and many other devices.
What is Mibbit written in?
Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- Mibbit sends your IP address to every IRC server you connect to. If you are abusive or misbehave, only you will get banned, and not all Mibbit users.
Can I change the ident/realname?
- If you connect to a non-webirc server, the ident will show your IP in hex, and the realname will show your hostname. This is undesirable, but the only way to enable ops to ban you, and not the whole of Mibbit. If you connect to a webirc server however, the IP shown in your hostmark is correct, and the ident+realname are just set to "Mibbit". This is definitely the preferred solution, as bans, g-lines, cloaks, etc all work seamlessly, just as if you were connecting directly instead of through Mibbit.
How do I set someone as an Operator?
- To give someone operator privileges type /op nickName (their nickname). This will last until they leave the channel.
- /cs aop #yourChannel add nickName makes them op permanently (only available for channel owners). See AutoOp.
Can I use Mibbit on my website?
How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- Logged-in (registered) users can set it via Prefs>Other>Auto away time [secs | 0=never]. Reconnect to any connected servers for the change to take effect.
How long does a ban last?
- Channel bans do not go away until the operators remove them. In the official channels on Mibbit (#chat, #mibbit, #help), the ban will be cleared no later than 30 days. Server bans are also up to the discretion of the IRC Operator (different from channel operators), though on the Mibbit server, it is about three days, if a time is set.
How can I donate
- Just contact axod or fastundia in #help or send an email: contact(at)mibbit.com