Whois is a method of quickly gaining information about users. What information the whois gives depends on what client you use the command from, whether or not that user is identified, modes that the user has set, modes that the channels the user is in has set, if the user is on the same server as you or another, if the user is using one IRC Client or another, or if you are an IRC OP. In Mibbit, the whois box opens up inside the channel you called the whois from. It shows profile and account information if the user whoised is on Mibbit too. Along with that, it tells what channels the user is in, their usermodes, and idle time. If they are identified on Nickserv, it will say that too. To get this dialog, use the command
When using the Mibbit Client, the following example is shown:
|Username:||TheUserIdent||On Mibbit for:||12 minutes.|
|IP:||TheIP||Local Time:||HH:MM:SS UTC-H|
|Modes:||is using modes +abc||(image)||OptionalProfile|
|Help:||is available for help|
|Operator:||is a Network Operator|
This display is highly dynamic, it changes based on various issues. Some elements are never visable to the typical user, some are visable only under some conditions.
- The icon shown follows the rules in Icons.
- This of course, indicates that the data shown is from TheNick that you issued the /whois TheNick command for. If you had quickly issued multiple whois commands, the results may be in a different order.
- This is a field, typically shown as "Mibbit" for users using the Mibbit Clients. Users using different irc clients may have different values.
- This is the host DNS or IP that is shown to all users. On many networks it is masked somewhat or totally, such as "mib-11DE075.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net" or "287AB38E.50E33866.F91BE320.IP".
- If you are a Network Operator, or you apply the whois command on yourself, this shows the IP address of TheNick.
- If you are a Network Operator, or you apply the whois command on yourself, this shows the Host Mask of TheNick.
- If TheNick has identified with NickServ, this field is shown.
- The field is not shown if Identified: no.
Real name: TheRealNameGecos
- This is a field called "Real Name" or GECOS, typically shown as "http://www.mibbit.com" for users using the Mibbit Clients. Users using different irc clients may have different values.
Away Message: TheAwayMessage
- This indicates the Away Message that the user has selected, when /away is enabled.
- This indicates the IRC server that TheNick is connected to.
- This indicates that TheNick has connected using the SSL protocol.
- The field is not shown if SSL: no.
Modes: is using modes +abc
- If you are a Network Operator, this shows the user mode of TheNick.
Help: is available for help
- If TheNick is a Network Operator, and has set user mode +h, this field is shown.
Operator: is a Network Operator
- If TheNick is a Network Operator or Administrator, this field is shown.
Server info: TheIrcServerInfo
- This indicates the IRC server info that TheNick is connected to, a string that the server sends. For example; "Mibbit IRC Server".
Idle time: 34 minutes
- This indicates when the server last detected activity from TheNick.
- This is unrelated to the /away status of TheNick.
- If TheNick is not on the same IRC server as you are, this field is not shown.
- The command, "/whois TheNick TheNick" will force the remote server to reply with an idle time.
- Note that this value could be reset by scripted actions in some clients, so may not be a valid indication that the user is not idle if the value is small.
Channels: #help, #chat
- This indicates what channels TheNick is in.
- See User mode +iwx for details.
IRC Client: TheClientInformation
- This indicates client version information.
- Presently, the Mibbit Client version information, and web browser that TheNick is using.
- This information is not related to CTCP version replies.
- A non-Mibbit Client will display "unknown" in this field.
Mibbit username: TheMibbitWebAccount
- This indicates the Mibbit accout name if TheNick is using a Mibbit Client that is logged in to the Mibbit web site.
- This information is not related to NickServ.
- The field is not shown if not logged in to the Mibbit web site.
On Mibbit for: 12 minutes
- This indicates the time that TheNick has been connected to the IRC server.
- This indicates the country that Mibbit has determined where TheNick has connected from.
- This uses a Google API or similar product, and is not guaranteed to be accurate.
- This information is used to display the country flag icon in the nick list.
Local time: HH:MM:SS UTC-H
- This indicates the time and timezone of TheNick.
- If TheNick has an incorrect setting, this display will be incorrect.
- This information is used to display the time of day icon in the nick list.
Mibbit client: Widget
- This indicates the Mibbit Client type is a Widget.
- The field is not shown if the user is not using the Mibbit Widget Client.
- These fields relate to optional entries in the optional profile of TheNick.
- There are no checks to see if these are valid, a lie by TheNick, or even indicate what the field says they do.