WebSocket is a system that allows a bidirectional tcp connection between browser and server. Mibbit can use this in place of Comet, in order to cut bandwidth and provide a faster experience for users. WebSocket is currently enabled by default in Chrome. In Firefox 4.0+ and Opera 11.0+ it has to be enabled manually.
How to enable WebSocket support:
- In the URL bar type: about:config
- Search for "websocket.override".
- Double-Click "network.websocket.override-security-block" (toggle to "true")
- In the URL bar type: opera:config
- Search for "WebSockets".
- Click the "Enable WebSockets" check box
- Save (no reload needed).
To check whether WebSocket is enabled see the last line on http://tools.mibbit.com/pub/whoami.php