Recent chat is the feature where you enter a channel, and you receive some of the conversation that has been going on in there. The system works by having one person in the channel already using the same Mibbit client. When you join the channel, the messages sent to that person will be collected and sent to you also, before the topic comes in. Note: users see recent chat only if another user using the same mibbit client was already in the #ch (e.g., wbe01.mibbit.com users only see the recent chat collected by other wbe01.mibbit.com users etc).
By default, recent chat is off in most channels because it has a security risk where those who are on an auto-kick list can still get the information. Don't turn this on in channels you want information to be private, and thus only in public channels. Once set, it is set permanently for that channel until it is set off.
Only operators or those with higher power may use this set of commands, and the operator must be using the Mibbit client.
There are three Mibbit based commands for recent chat.
- /recentchat on—sets Recent Chat On
- /recentchat off—switches Recent Chat Off
- /recentchat—Shows which mode Recent Chat is in;
|Set recent chat on in all Mibbit clients for immediate effect (otherwise there is a lag of up to ten minutes). Be aware that widget.mibbit.com redirects to wbe01.mibbit.com or wbe02.mibbit.com randomly.|
There are a few prefs with recent chat. They are:
- Chat (Recent) in Chat Color - Changes the color of non emote (/me) messages in recent chat.
- Emote (Recent) in Chat Color - Changes the color of emotes in recent chat.
- Recent chat on join in Chat Data - Enables or Disables Recent Chat for you.