First of all, check out the FAQ. This may answer a lot of common questions about mibbit.
- Fast lightweight client - as opposed to flash or java applets.
- Connect to multiple channels on multiple servers.
- Full utf8 support means whatever language, you can use mibbit.
- Typing notification (Users name turns red when they are typing).
- Tab completion on nicknames (Just starting someones name, and try pressing tab).
- Input history for each channel (Up and down arrows).
- Chat scrollback on join. This allows you to see some of the recent discussion in a channel so you have a clue what's going on.
- Extended whois information.
- Device identification - Wii users show up as a joystick, iPod touch show up as an ipod, iPhone as a phone... You get the idea. This makes it easy to tell why someone is typing slowly for instance.
- Parsing of links, channels, smilies, mIRC color, nicknames.
- Auto thumbnailing of image URLs
- Integrated pastebin
And many many more.
To get up and running with Mibbit as soon as you can, try the QuickStartGuide.
Finding places to chat
Finding interesting chat rooms can be a problem, so there's a quick and easy way to find them on Mibbit. On each of the networks we have access to, we index all the channels. To find new places to chat, just click on the 'Find channels' tab, and put in some keywords. For example 'music trivia'. Then you'll get back a list of results, with a count of how many users are in the channel, and a description. If you click on the channel title, you can join in with the chat straight away. Easy as that!
Make your own place to chat
Using Mibbit on your website
If you have/create your own irc channel you can also use the new Widget to embed a chatroom on your own website, allowing your visitors to easily interact, and stay on your site longer. It adds a lot to any community to be able to chat with each other. People get to know each other, and come back to your site more often. Also see Widget You can also link to Mibbit, and have some information pre-filled into the connect form. You may pass server,channel, nick over in the url. These must be url encoded.
There is also a drupal module available if you use drupal for your website.
You can also use it in Joomla.
If you have an iGoogle page setup, you can add it as a widget. Just choose 'other widget', then put in this url: (http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/109578123145862366321/mibbit.xml)
If you'd like to customize the client to your own liking, you can set your own Preferences.
All of the connections to IRC servers come from the same IP address. However, Mibbit is not, and will never be an anonymizer. Mibbit has a couple of methods it uses to notify the IRC servers of the visitors real IP address, so that the user can still be identified, and banned if needed. Most IRC servers have a 'session limit' which may mean that you cannot connect from mibbit. If you are unable to connect somewhere, please email us, and we will request a limit increase from them. All of the irc servers listed in the drop down are servers we have agreements with. servers. Also see IRC Server Info
- IRC Help - An excellent resource for all things IRC
- IRC News - A daily updated source of IRC news
- Search IRC - A list of IRC servers and channels
Mibbit is in development, so if you do experience a bug, please Report it. Also, if there are any features you'd like to see, please add them to the WishList. View the Mibbit Development Blog here. If you have any general feedback, good or bad, add it to the Feedback page.
A detailed changelog can be found on the changelog page, as of March 2008 (when the embedded version was launched) changes made to the backend and gui are recorded in detail.
The changelog is maintained by XAVIER Pnolan -a former Undernet and 1SRC.com proprietor.