Mibbit currently supports IRC and Twitter, with other protocols under development. You can also use the Mibbit Widget to provide a real time chat window embedded on your own website.
Why use Mibbit?
- Security - Unlike Java chat applets which require not only a download of a file to your machine, but also requires 'trusted' access to your machine, Mibbit provides enhanced security utilizing the web browser's built-in security features over which you have full control.
- Ease - Now you can access chat rooms without the need to install a desktop client on every machine you use.
- Portability - You can use Mibbit from your laptop, iPhone, a cyber cafe and mobile devices.
- Extra features - Some features of Mibbit are now easily implemented in desktop clients, such as image thumb nails, typing notification, recent chat history and much more.
Using the Mibbit (main) client
Finding places to chat
Finding interesting chat rooms can be a problem, so there's a quick and easy way to find them on Mibbit. On each of the networks we have access to, we index all the channels. To find new places to chat, just fill the input field at the top with some keyword(s), e.g., 'music trivia' and click on the 'Find channels' button. Then you'll get back a list of results, with a count of how many users are in the channel, and a description. If you click on the channel title, you can join in with the chat straight away. Easy as that!
Make your own place to chat
If you'd like your own chatroom, the easiest thing is to create a channel on irc.mibbit.net . Simply connect to the server, and then follow the guides Create Your Own Nickname or Create Your Own Channel.
Set it up just how you like it
- Alias - You can setup aliases for your frequently used commands.
- Filters - You can use filters to replace text you send and/or receive.
- Autoconnect - Get Mibbit to automatically connect to your favorite servers and channels.
Using the Mibbit IRC Widget on your website
If you have/create your own irc channel you can also use the new Widget to embed a chatroom on your own website, allowing your visitors to easily interact, and stay on your site longer. It adds a lot to any community to be able to chat with each other. People get to know each other, and come back to your site more often. To learn more about the Mibbit widget, click here.
You can also link to Mibbit, and have some information pre-filled into the connect form. You may pass server,channel, nick over in the URL. These must be URL encoded.
Mibbit Modules for existing software
There are also several Modules for existing software. So if you're already using a wiki/forum for your website, there may be a handy Mibbit plugin for it already.
If you don't like the default settings, there are some ready made Skins you can use. Alternatively you can create your own.
All of the connections to IRC servers come from the same IP address. However, Mibbit is not, and will never be an anonymizer. Mibbit has a couple of methods it uses to notify the IRC servers of the visitors real IP address, so that the user can still be identified, and banned if needed. Most IRC servers have a 'session limit' which may mean that you cannot connect from mibbit. If you are unable to connect somewhere, please email us, and we will request a limit increase from them. All of the IRC servers listed in the drop down are servers we have agreements with already. If you manage an IRC network, or your own server, please check out how to enable your own IRC server.
How you can help
Mibbit is in development, so if you do experience a bug, please report it in the Bugs section. Also, if there are any features you'd like to see, please add them to the WishList. View the Mibbit Development Blog. There is a blog describing updates. If you have any general feedback, good or bad, please email us.