Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 What is Mibbit?
- 2 Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- 3 What can run Mibbit?
- 4 What is Mibbit written in?
- 5 Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- 6 Can I change the ident/realname?
- 7 Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- 8 How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- 9 What is the frogs name?
What is Mibbit?
- Mibbit is an online webchat client. At the moment it supports IRC and Yahoo, and is pretty feature rich.
Can Mibbit do other character sets?
- Mibbit supports, and uses UTF-8. UTF-8 contains all the characters you would ever really need. Please try and get other people on IRC to use UTF-8. For mIRC users: View -> Text, under UTF-8 choose "read & encode". Now you can display the current character set using the /charset command and/or set it in "my account". The widget can be configured with &charset=... (see Customizing)
What can run Mibbit?
- Anything that has a modern web browser. Desktops with ff/ie/opera/safari, iPhone, wii, Nokia n800, probably many other devices as well.
What is Mibbit written in?
Why doesn't everyone get banned when a person using the mibbit client gets banned?
- Mibbit sends over your IP address to every IRC server you connect to. If you are abusive or misbehave, only you will get banned, and not the whole of mibbit.
Can I change the ident/realname?
- If you connect to a non-webirc server, the ident will show your IP in hex, and the realname will show your hostname. This is undesirable, but the only way to enable ops to ban you, and not the whole of Mibbit. If you connect to a webirc server however, the IP shown in your hostmark is correct, and the ident+realname are just set to "Mibbit". This is definitely the preferred solution, as bans, g-lines, cloaks, etc all work seamlessly, just as if you were connecting directly instead of through Mibbit.
Can I use Mibbit on my website?
- Yes. Checkout the guides on the Widget page.
How do I turn on/off the auto away feature?
- Registered users can set it permanently via "Prefs". Others use /dset autoAway <secs|0=never>. Reconnect to any connected servers for the change to take effect.
What is the frogs name?