Create your own nickname
|This was made specifically for irc.mibbit.net. Although it is possible that it works with other servers, we can not guarantee.
Registering your Nickname
- Choose a user name or nick. This user name should consist only of the letters from A-Z, the ciphers from 0-9 (but not as first character) and certain symbols such as "_" and "-". It may have a maximum of 16 characters. Please note that some nicknames are used internally and cannot be used. Also, please stay family friendly with your nicknames
- Change your user name to the user name you have chosen. Suppose you chose the nick "Pineapplecake" for example. Type the following in the input line:
- Register your nick or user name. Type the following command and replace your_password with a password that will be easy to remember and use a working email address. Avoid hotmail.co.uk and Yahoo if you can, we get reports that Yahoo fails more often than not. Oddly enough, Yahoo managed email, such as ATT or SBCGlobal seem to work.
/msg nickserv register your_password yourName@yourMailProvider
- Get the confirmation code from your email inbox. Type the following command and replace confirmation_code with the code sent to you in the email. It has the template shown below
/msg nickserv confirm confirmation_code
- If you want your email address to remain private, use the following command:
/msg nickserv set hide email on
- Register an alternate nickname using the same password. If you would like to register an alternate nickname, repeat the same procedure, using steps 2 to 4. Alternatively type /ns GROUP mainNick mainPass (see /ns help group)
- Identify with NickServ. Each time you connect, you should sign in, or "identify" yourself, using the following command:
/msg nickserv identify your_password( or
/identify your_passwordon some servers )
- Auto connect with mibbit: For your convience, if you are using the full http://www.mibbit.com version and are registered and logged in, you can add that nick and password to the "My Account" list to be auto-identified. Most clients have their own way of setting up an auto-connect also.
( /ns is an alias for /msg nickserv on most clients )
|If you get on the server (after registering) and someone else has taken your name: type in /msg NickServ GHOST <username> <password> to kick the user from your nickname. Then type /nick <username> to change your nick back!|
You can also do '/msg NickServ help' or '/ns help' for extensive help (some servers also use /nickserv). See also Anope's help documenation.
After successfully registering your nick you now might also want to create your own channel.
From: firstname.lastname@example.org To: "nick" <email@example.com> Subject: Nickname Registration (nick) Hi, You have requested to register the following nickname nick'. Please type " /msg NickServ confirm passcode " to complete registration. If you don't know why this mail is sent to you, please ignore it silently. PLEASE DON'T ANSWER TO THIS MAIL! Mibbit administrators.