Difference between revisions of "Create your own nickname"
m (anope link)
m (Category name change.)
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
Revision as of 05:09, 18 December 2009
|This was made specifically for irc.mibbit.net. Although it is possible that it works with other servers, we can not guarantee.|
|Registering your nick name on the irc servers (such as irc.mibbit.net) is different from creating an account with Mibbit (using the "Login / Create an account" fields up the top of the page).|
Registering your Nickname
- Choose a user name or nick. This user name should consist only of the letters from A-Z, the ciphers from 0-9 (but not as first character) and certain symbols such as "_" and "-". It may have a maximum of 16 characters. Please note that some nicknames are used internally and cannot be used. Also, please stay family friendly with your nicknames
- Change your user name to the user name you have chosen. Suppose you chose the nick "plumcake". Type the following in the window titled irc.mibbit.net:
- Register your nick or user name. Type the following command and replace your_password with a password that will be easy to remember and replace email@example.com with your correct email address (avoid yahoo if you can, we get reports that yahoo fails more often than not. Oddly enough, yahoo managed email, such as att/sbcglobal, seem to have no issues...)
/msg nickserv register your_password firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get the confirmation code from your email inbox. Type the following command and replace confirmation_code with the code sent to you in the email. It has the template shown below
/msg NickServ confirm confirmation_code
- If you want your email address to remain private, use the following command:
/msg nickserv set hide email on
- Register an alternate nickname using the same password. If you would like to register an alternate nickname, repeat the same procedure, using steps 2 to 4. Alternatively type /ns GROUP mainNick mainPass (see /ns help group)
- Identify with Nickserv. Each time you connect, you should sign in, or "identify" yourself, using the following command:
/msg nickserv identify your_password( or
/identify your_passwordon some servers )
- Auto connect with mibbit: For your convience, if you are using the full http://www.mibbit.com version and are registered and logged in, you can add that nick and password to the "My Account" list to be auto-identified. Most clients have their own way of setting up an auto-connect also.
( /ns is an alias for /msg nickserv on most clients )
|If you get on the server (after registering) and someone else has taken your name: type in /msg NickServ GHOST <username> <password> to kick the user from your nickname. Then type /nick <username> to change your nick back!|
You can also do '/msg NickServ help' or '/ns help' for extensive help (some servers also use /nickserv). See also Anope's help documenation.
After successfully registering your nick you now might also want to create your own channel.
From: email@example.com To: "nick" <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: Nickname Registration (nick) Hi, You have requested to register the following nickname nick'. Please type " /msg NickServ confirm passcode " to complete registration. If you don't know why this mail is sent to you, please ignore it silently. PLEASE DON'T ANSWER TO THIS MAIL! Mibbit administrators.